Friday, December 11, 2009

namby-pamby: /nam-bē-pam-bē/

1 : lacking in character or substance
2 : weak, indecisive

how to use in casual conversation:

"this is one of the most namby-pamby WOTDs merriam-webster has ever thrown at us"
"did you seriously just say 'namby-pamby'?

not to be confused with:

gumby

how it makes me feel:

this is kinda, sorta, just a little bit bunk. bunk as in, 'that's some bunk-ass, jive-turkey baloney.' i really don't know what to say to this. as far as i can tell it's akin to phrases like 'nancy-boy' which is language i can only condone when done tounge-in-cheek. i mean......yeah. what else can i say?

5 comments:

  1. Huh. I always thought it was mamby-pamby. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More like, not to be confused with NAMBLA.

    Be careful with this one, kids. REAL careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love namby-pamby. I just like to say it. Namby-pamby. I've worked for so many of them

    ReplyDelete
  4. This word was a great pick-me-up from a long, cold day. Good Choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i thought it was mamby-pamby too.

    good call pete. kids - DO NOT GOOGLE "NAMBLA" please in the name of all that is holy DO NOT GOOGLE "NAMBLA"!!!

    i dunno anony. it feels a little weak to me. plus its technically a contraction.

    thanks brenna. stay warm.

    ReplyDelete