Tuesday, October 6, 2009

burgeon:

1. to grow or develop quickly; flourish
2. to begin to grow, as a bud; put forth buds, shoots, etc.


how to use in casual conversation:

"she quickly burgeoned into an alcoholic"
"there's a burgeoning discomfort in my stomach"

not to be confused with:

burden

how it makes me feel:

not terribly excited. all things considered - it's a good word. but it isn't exactly making anything in my pants burgeon. not to mention it just kinda sounds ugly. burgeon also rhymes with sturgeon which is one natures the ugliest creatures. probably because it's fucking old. i usually try to restrict swearing on these entries but 200 million years is a long damn time to go without evolving morphologically. i mean, come the f on here. humans transitioned from tree dwelling, bug-off-back-eating, grunting lion-fodder to latte-swilling, condo-dwelling, cell phone users in something on the order of 4-6 million years (not to mention learning to walk upright and developing the opposable thumb). so what's up sturgeon? feeling a little lazy? where's your condo sturgeon? what's that? you don't have one because you live in water? whatever. get a fucking job sturgeon.

editorial note:

cats are better than sturgeons. i got to see my cat last night. he was happy. he has a nice home which is good. i wanted him to be miserable without me but he was well groomed and he has a little playmate now. i'm still a little bitter about the circumstances under which he left my company but in the end the colonel is whats important not that stupid jerk.

4 comments:

  1. I like cats better than sturgeons too. But I think a cat might really like a sturgeon (for dinner). Maybe not. I know what it is to have loved and lost a cat, but, knowing Colonel Fish Dish (or whatever his full given name is)is in a loving home should help. I can't wait to meet him! (BTW - it's Chelsea's Mom who can't use her real name)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you're still a burgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beneath the comment box, where it says "comment as:" pick "name/URL" and voila. looking forward to seeing you cheryl.

    some things never change ruthie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horrible, horrible horrible stuff, I mean art.
    Kinda reminds me of the grossness of Frieda Diego

    ReplyDelete