Tuesday, November 3, 2009

sommelier: /suhm-uhl-yey/

a waiter, as in a club or restaurant, who is in charge of wines

how to use in casual conversation:

"this restaurant has the most lovely sommelier"
"that jerk better work for his tips, he better be doing sommelier-ersaults"

not to be confused with:

nothing rhymes with sommelier. so if you confuse it with something else, you're obviously stupid.

how it makes me feel:

it kinda gives me an odd feeling. to start, the word sommelier is essentially synonymous with asshole. like that one knob on top chef whose name i can't remember. i hated that guy. it kind of reminds me of the time i was a kid and i asked my mom what it meant when someone had 'esq.' (as in esquire) after their name. she said "it means they're a pretentious asshole". it took me another couple of years to get a serious answer to my question and only then did i get a joke. thanks vicky. btw, vicky likes wine. but as far as i'm concerned if you ain't got a bottle of chuck somewhere behind the bar don't even bother to show me the wine list. it's just that red wine kind of gives me heart burn after the first bottle and that 2008 australian chardonnay was the bomb. plus wine is expensive. $8 a glass? for that money i can get 4 pbrs at any hour or 8 cans of oly between 5 and 7 on weekdays.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm guessing it's a french word, so you have to expect a little asshole-ness. I know this because I used to date a french guy. Very asshole-ness. (Chelsea's Mom - it isn't liking me again)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think your misgivings about sommelier are conflated at best.
    For some people wine is a crucial part of life. Winos come in all income brackets. A good sommelier will be able to assist with food pairings that fit into everyone's budget.
    gosh, i just love wine.

    ReplyDelete