Friday, November 20, 2009

billingsgate: /bil-ingz-geyt /

coarsely or vulgarly abusive language.

how to use in casual conversation:

"not that i don't like my boss, it's just that the billingsgate he seems to enjoy throwing around at vendors is a little embarrassing."

not to be confused with:

bill gates (still waxing the ass of...)

how it makes me feel:

this is a good one. what it describes is near and dear to me. maybe not so much the 'abusive' aspect but i am always down for course or vulgar language. it's also a word that doesn't sound like it's definition which is something that always floats my boat. speaking of vulgar and abusive language......i'm going home for thanksgiving. and while i'm kind of looking forward to it, i'm also kind of not. 'specially since i realize how much of my time is going to be spent in front of my sisters giant tv with a direct tv remote in one hand and a bong in the other, never being that far away from the xbox controller or a decent burrito. i love my sister to death, i actually i love my whole family but that's not to say that there isn't always potential for our gatherings to erupt into a conflagration of self-righteous name calling and rehashing of 35-year-old traumas. it's a function of the fact that there's always plenty of booze and my family is generally snarky when they're sober. it's actually fun to watch so long as you aren't involved. that is until the little cousins start getting scared. but they're getting older now so maybe this year they'll jump on in there. i plan on drinking with my cousin rich and riding that sweet sweet wave of tryptophan all the way down to grandma's hardwood floor. what happens after that is someone else's problem. although last time that happened they threw a blanket over me and i learned the hard way that you can't lay in the fetal position of such a surface. but that's what 'life-long learning' is all about.

editorial note:

"Billingsgate is so called after Billingsgate, a former market in London celebrated for fish and foul language." - dictionary.com

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. Dictionary, maybe you should use yourself to look up the meaning of "editorial" and not be such a lazy bones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you about the word a guy used in an email to me (at work). The sentence was something to the effect, "It seems as if Target has taken a procrustean approach to EDI". Hmmm. I had no idea what procrustean meant, so looked it up in my work dictionary and it said something about it being a medieval form of torture to include removing limbs to get one to comply! I love that word now, but wish I had known about billingsgate to use in my reply to his sorry literary ass. Have a wonderful trip home and try to stay out of the brawls. I think you've seen your share of brawls for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am a lazy bones.

    thanks cheryl! i'll try not to get anymore black eyes in '09.

    ReplyDelete