Monday, November 23, 2009

pedantic: /pi-ˈdan-tik/

1 : of, relating to, or being a pedant
2 : narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned
3 : unimaginative, pedestrian

how to use in casual conversation:

"don't you hate it when you know someone whose 'art' is totally pedantic and you can't say anything? even when they refer to it as their 'art' and invite people over to 'do art'? i do."

not to be confused with:

didactic (click on this link and read it, it will change your life)

how it makes me feel:

well, WOTD wise its not terribly exciting. it's not bad. it's a good word. this word and i actually have a little bit of history. see my mom was a major debate dweeb in high school and while my father didn't receive a formal education until later in life he was quite a prolific reader. so growing up my parents were throwing big words around quite a bit, especially at each other. but my mom would always tell my dad he was being pedantic when really he was being facetious and when she'd tell him he was being facetious he was usually just being annoying. speaking of annoying i'm currently lounging around my sister's house in my manties because no one's home and i really don't want to put my pants on. vacation is sweet.

2 comments: