Friday, January 8, 2010

gesticulate: /je-stik-yuh-leyt/

1. to make or use gestures, esp. in an animated or excited manner with or instead of speech.
2. to express by gesturing.


how to use in casual conversation:

"i couldn't understand what that man was saying, but his gesticulating action in his pocket revealed his true intent."

not to be confused with:

gestation

how it makes me feel:

the word itself isn't terribly sexy. not only is it (as a word) somewhat pedestrian, it also sounds like an adjective you wouldn't want someone to describe you with as it sounds dirty.

person: "hey pony - i heard you gesticulate quite frequently"
me: "what the hell? are you looking in my window and night or something?"

i'd much rather just refer to myself as being 'animated' and leave it at that.

a note:

have a nice weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I just felt I should let you know that I really enjoy your blog. It gives me lots of laughs.

    ReplyDelete